OV SSL certificates belong to a higher level of digital security certificates. In addition to checking the domain name they also provide authentication of a legal entity of the customer (company, fund, government agency, etc.).
OV SSL advantages over DV SSL certificates
Compared to simple domain validated SSL certificates, containing only domain name information of the secured website, OV SSL certificate shows additional information about the owner of the web site: the name and address of the company, owning protected domain name. Organization validated SSL certificate guarantees that the domain holder’s data has been checked according to international Internet security standards. Therefore, a website, protected by an OV SSL certificate, deserves “double” user trust.
In order to view the SSL certificate information, press the lock in your browser address bar and open the tab “Connection”. You’ll see the link “Certificate information”. By clicking it a user can find all the necessary SSL certificate details, like domain name, company name and address, SSL certificate issuer and chain, etc. All this helps users validate credibility of a web site they are visiting.
In addition to that, you will have an opportunity to install a dynamic site seal on any website page. Due to it users can get connection security information in real time.
All OV SSL certificates support not only PC browsers, but also mobile devices.
How to buy Organization Validated SSL certificate?
As in case of EV SSL certificates, only legally registered entities or private persons are eligible to order OV SSL certs. OV SSL certificate ordering process is following:
- Select the appropriate SSL certificate and its validity period. The more years of your SSL certificate you choose, the lower price per year you obtain. Save your money and time with OV SSL certificates for 2 to 3 years.
- Fill out the registration form on our website. This will give you an opportunity to follow your order processing within your client’s area.
- Submit your domain, server and company information in order to get you OV SSL certificate. At this point we will also require you to send us a link to your company page in an independent telephone register. It may be, for example, dnb.com or any other source listed on world.192.com.
- Pass e-mail validation (confirm validation letter) and answer an automated call from the certification authority to confirm your order.
After that, you will obtain your OV SSL certificate and you’ll have to install it on your server. The whole process of issuance may take from 1 day up to 1 week.
Preparing for Organization Validation
Make sure that the data about your company (name and address) is the same in the following references, verified by the certification authority:
- Your registration document;
- Registration data of your domain name (available at Whois service);
- Yellow pages or DNB entry.
Peculiarities of phone validation for OV SSL certificate
To ensure the accuracy of your company information, a certification authority must assure oneself in its existence. After having checked the company registration data, the CA will send you a validation call letter. Normally, it indicates a validated phone number from the phone directory you’ve provided before. You’ll have to check if the telephone number is correct and initiate a callback. For that you just need to click “Call me now” button and choose the language for validation call. After that you will receive an automated call and should note the code you hear during the call.
With OV SSL certificate installed, visitors can see that not only your web site is secure, but also that it belongs to you, and has been verified by an independent authority. Thus, they can be sure it was not faked (e.g., phishing websites), and that the website owner, on the contrary, takes care of users’ security.
We recommend the use of OV SSL certificates for small companies’ websites, e-commerce web sites, as well as for resources, requesting and transmitting any confidential users’ information (e.g. in medical sector or housing and utilities services).